• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Carol brass CTR-5000L-YLT-Bb-L

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dizzyr1971

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Carol brass CTR-5000L-YLT-Bb-L Reply with quote

Has anyone played a Carol brass CTR-5000L-YLT-Bb-L? What's the difference between the YLT and the YST? They list as pro instruments, do they hold there weight compared to the big brands, like Yamaha and Bach?
Bach Strad 37 1982
Conn Vocabell Conquerer-40B 1934
Couesnon Flugelhorn

Last edited by Dizzyr1971 on Sat May 11, 2024 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the YLT for over 10 years now. Hard to believe it's been that long. It's a fine horn. Lightweight, so it doesn't have the heft of a typical Bach Strad. It has a bright sound, probably closest to a Yamaha Shew, but I like the Carol better. Amazingly, they're still a bargain.
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between the YLT has a Bach 72 type bell and the YST is a 37 bell.

I own the YLT in silver and a Bach 72* which is a similar type horn but without the reversed leadpipe. The CarolBrass is a great value and I’ve played lead on it, but my Bach is a superior trumpet.

If price is an issue, you would be hard pressed to find a better trumpet in that price range.
Dizzyr1971

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking that the YST 37 type bell would better for jazz and big band playing?
Bach Strad 37 1982
Couesnon Flugelhorn
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a 5000L-YLT in silverplate and a 5000L-YST in lacquer.

Construction on both was excellent, but ...

The pre-polish on the silverplated horn wasn't well done. I could see a lot of scratches on the bell under the plating. Silver polish didn't touch them. That's how I knew they were on the brass.

The sound of both horns was decent. The YST was tight above the staff with the D tuning slide - very tiny slots. Some players like that. The YLT was looser, but it took a lot more air (as expected).

At their price point, they're great. But my Bach 43 plays better and sounds better. (I'm not a Bach fanboy; I'm just calling it the way I feel it and hear it.)

For big band playing I would lean toward the YST, but the YLT could do it also.
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Carol brass CTR-5000L-YLT-Bb-L Reply with quote

Dizzyr1971 wrote:
Has anyone played a Carol brass CTR-5000L-YLT-Bb-L? What's the difference between the YLT and the YST? They list as pro instruments, do they hold there weight compared to the big brands, like Yamaha and Bach?

YST is similar to the Bach 37* bell and YLT similar to Bach 72* bell. Both have 25-0 reverse leadpipes which are supposed to be more free blowing than standard Bach 25 leadpipe. I have a standard Bach 37 and Mt Vernon Bach 37 and the YST seems to be more restrictive for some reason for me. I much prefer the YLT model.

Carol Brass makes great quality trumpets for the money and there may even be some that prefer them to Bach or Yamaha. For a lead or commercial trumpet, I would prefer my YLT to the standard Bach 37 or standard Yamaha Xeno.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been interested in Carol Brass for a long time but over here people seem to hold on to them and the used market is in fact really small. One thing that I did notice on some of those used horns in quite some of the ads is suspicious speckles on the leadpipe (and other places like tuning slide or even the bell bow) indicating red rot.

What is your overall experience, particularly with the two horns under question here, 5000L YST and YLT: do you experience red rot formation in fairly new horns with normal maintenance?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, (Frate or Curry)
BRM2

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experience with both horns. The YLT definitely felt more open to me. I preferred the YST and can create a more open feel using the more rounded tuning slide. I bought my YST horn back in 2012 for $700. Got it off of TrumpetHerald. I liked it because it was lightweight and it played how I wanted the newer Shew horns to play. I am not saying that it was better then the Bach or Yamaha horns I had available, it was just easier to play for very taxing performances like long traditional jazz performances. I sold several great horns to get my current Van Laar horn. I kept my YST over all of my other horns.

Oddly enough, my horn did develop a little red rot on the lead pipe. I don't regret the purchase though.

I would highly recommend that someone give these horns a try if they have an opportunity.
GR 67M
Marcinkiewicz E13 C. FINDLEY
Lotus 2M (Bronze)
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: Carol Reply with quote

Another Carol model that might be worth your consideration is the 5060L-GLT. It has the reverse tuning slide set up as well, but with a sterling silver lead pipe and a large taper lightweight bell in gold brass. There's differing opinions on the sterling silver lead pipe, but I think it's considerably more responsive than the standard.
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should mention that the CarolBrass G-Bb trumpet is the 5000L-YLT with two sets of slides, one for G and the Bb. There are 4 slides for each key.

I use mine in G for an alumni drum corps.
Dizzyr1971

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered the 5060L YST Bb L, I'll let you all know how it plays when I've tried it out
Bach Strad 37 1982
Couesnon Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: