• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Older F.A Reynolds horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. so I did a BIN on this and thought I had a pretty good deal on this 1941 horn:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3726156700&rd=1

But then I searched completed items and saw a 1939 U.S. marked horn, in silver and very good shape, sold for only $81. So I'm wondering, is it only the silver belled ones and the Contempora and Argenta that are very desirable? I would have thought the military model would be more desirable. I've heard the old Reynolds were good horns. I'm not complaining, I know it's still a good deal. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

[ This Message was edited by: radiobob on 2004-05-24 11:16 ]
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Rouse (http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm) is threatening to expand his Olds site to include Reynolds. I am starting to be curious about the Reynolds line because of its close connection with Olds- FA Reynolds was 'instrumental' in the design and introduction of the Ambassadors after he sold his company and joined Olds.

Is anyone ready to post a starter list of models with approximate years and preliminary serial numbers?

This post guaranteed to be 100% free of eBay references... except for this guarantee. ;>)
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me FA Reynolds was Zig Kanstul's mentor.
Ebayscrounger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that, but he was also the mind behind some of Kings early great horns.

Still looking for my horn...
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-24 00:52, radiobob wrote:
I would have thought the military model would be more desirable. I've heard the old Reynolds were good horns

I don't think Reynolds made a "Military Model" like Olds did .........I think the seller meant "military issue"
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, military issue would be more appropriate. I would love to see a site dedicated to Reynolds, and I think Alan's site would be the ideal place to do it. I'll volunteer to help with research.

Bob
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I surfed the 'net for Reynolds serial numbers, I found refereces to sax and flute serial numbers. They seem a different numbering system from trumpets/cornets. Also, Reynolds seem to just be a stencil in the early days of its woodwind line (stencil means that they had another company, Buescher and Martin in this case, make their saxes with Reynolds engraved).
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I read that Reynolds began production in 1936 and conventional wisdom figures 2,000 produced per year till he sold the company in 1947, for brasswinds anyway.

Bob
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a nice description of a RFeynolds trumpet here. It also contains a pretty definitive serial number with year connection. #12740 = 1946

"...a one owner vintage FA Reynolds b-flat trumpet. I was already studying four years when my older brother bought it for me brand new after his discharge from WW II in 1946... A great feature I can remember about this horn is that I played many one hour or more sets at dances and weddings and it never wore me out. I was always pleased how easy a blowing horn it was. The serial number is #12740 clearly engrave on the grip."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3725053137&indexURL=3&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Conn 53, I was looking for better pics and the dated serial number is great.

Bob
nacog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not totally convinced that the 1946 is the year it was manufactured. The company was sold in 1946-47 at which time it became Roth-Reynolds. I have a Reynolds professional that is pre-Roth and has a serial number in the 20,000 range. Also , all the Roth Reynolds horns that I have seen have serial numbers in excess of 20,000. I kind of wonder if that trumpet was new old stock from 1941 since not too many band instruments were being sold to the public during the war years. I love the old Reynolds horns (I have 4 prewar models included 2 that were made sometime in the first few months of the companys startup) and would love a Reynolds site. From what I've seen, matching serial numbers to years is quite a challenge. What would be nice is if some warrenty cards with dates and serial numbers would show up. If only everyone had been as thorough as Vincent Bach was with his shop cards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: