• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schools that teach trumpet???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
airegin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO you'd be hard-pressed to find a school that would actually teach you the mechanics of trumpet playing. I attended a major music school as a very mediocre player and left very dissappointed. The big name teachers just happen to turn out a couple of noteworthy players through no fault of their own. They hand pick and only teach the very best. These players would develope and excel even without this brilliant instruction. The rest get to learn from the student teachers who may or may not have a clue. I'm sure there must be exceptions but I think this is pretty normal.
I guess i could've just said that I didn't know you could go to school to learn how to play the trumpet. Thanks for reading
Zero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ooops, I deleted everything editing it, but it looks like someone got it, so nevermind.

[ This Message was edited by: Zero on 2001-11-11 23:48 ]
airegin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Zero, i'll check it out.
cybertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,
I know what you mean. When I was in college, I had this player to be my teacher and he was a big lead-demon with a huge ego and it was his way or the highway. he put me thru an embouchure change (mine was just fine) and he even told me that if I did not change my setup, that i would be given an F. so, I went to college to get schooled in "musical" trumpet playing and jazz and came out with jazz knowledge and a huge range up to a double C, which was not my goal at all. i found the best thing to do, is to find a private teacher that suits your needs and then just "get thru" your schooling if you have a bad teacher on a power trip. do the work that the teacher tells you to do to get the grade but "listen" to your "real" teacher. I learned more in one lesson from the fellow that I was studying with privately than this ego crazed militant that was teaching in the college. you have to question education itself sometimes to get the answers.
thanks and hope this helps....I know how you feel!!!
airegin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff. I had to chuckle reading your post. It is a shame that you ended up with a huge range up to dbl c! lol But really, I'm sure you were frustrated studying with the student teacher( do you know where he ended up?). It's nice to hear about other's experiences in learning to play.
Rob
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I just lucked out with my teacher here at TCU. Dr. Jon Burgess is not only a heck of a trumpet player, but an amazing teacher. He has truly taught me how to play the trumpet in the year and a half I've been here. I'm not totally there yet, but I'm improving on things daily and it's all because of Dr. Burgess's teaching. If you don't know where to look for a teacher that will teach you how to play trumpet, check out TCU. You won't be disappointed.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cybertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-11-12 23:11, airegin wrote:
Thanks Jeff. I had to chuckle reading your post. It is a shame that you ended up with a huge range up to dbl c! lol But really, I'm sure you were frustrated studying with the student teacher( do you know where he ended up?). It's nice to hear about other's experiences in learning to play.
Rob

Hey there,
I have no idea where this guy ended up, but I am sure that he is screamin at 3 other players right now in the trumpet section for wearing shoes with the wrong colour shoelaces. I mean, this guy was a nightmare! He was the kind of guy that had totally mastered lead playing and he would intimidate anyone who played the trumpet. I often got the feeling that he was "offended" if you played the trumpet. what a freak. Anyway, the range has helped over the years and it has stuck with me. nice to pull it out of the hat once and a while......good luck in your search. I hear that Terrell Stafford is teaching in Philly. Man, what a player and what a saint. He is a really great guy, who takes joy in what he does!!! Good luck!!
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to be one of the last college students of Robert Nagel (professor emeritus, Yale University, founder of the New York Brass Quintet and co-founder of the ITG). He was actually the adjunct prof at my college for three years and was amazing. He was a wonderful teacher and a true gentleman. Rarely does one come across such a fine combination of talent for teaching and a nice person. Just thought a break from the horror stories would be nice.
Jeff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the best teachers are the best-kept secrets. My college teacher was Rick Steffen at a small liberal arts school in Tennessee, Austin Peay. Rick is an active session player in Nashville, and in his college days at North Texas he was the soloist with the concert band (or wind ensemble), played with the faculty brass quintet and played lead in the One O'Clock jazz band (grammy-nominated Lizard album).

I've witnessed him take some of the worst trumpet players and turn them into working, professional trumpeters. In the process, he teaches his students how to live life...not by preaching at them, but merely by example and teaching them how to approach the trumpet (and life) with daily discipline. I've been to countless clinics and have had lessons with "big name" trumpeters, and NONE compare to the total package of teacher and player that Rick Steffen is.

I agree with an earlier post... it's been my experience that the so-called "big names" often are better recruiters of students rather than teachers. That being said, perhaps more talented students simply need a good player to play with once a week, however, if I were looking at a college instructor I would go around and take as many private lessons as possible to get a sample of the quality of instruction.
WSU

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied for years under Gerald B. Webster at, you guessed it WSU, he really is a great teacher, who cares about his students. He has move on to Portland State, Portland OR. Not only is he a great teacher, he'll blow you away classically. You should check him out.

[ This Message was edited by: WSU on 2002-05-13 13:40 ]
nc~trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Bach at The university of north carolina at greensboro is also a great teacher. He motivates you to a point its hard not to succed. Small place with a great music school.
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen Vizzutti at University of Washington. Talk about champagne on a beer budget!
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micheal Ewald is professor of trumpet at university of Illinois...have the great access to Krannert Center
KHORN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Esther Boyer College of music at Temple University. You have David Bilger, Jeff Curnow, Terell Stafford.... Not a bad line up of teachers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: