• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Achieving consistency

View previous topic :: View next topic  
music matters
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Achieving consistency Reply with quote

How do manufacturers achieve consistency?

This is a topic that has interested me for a while and, as there are manufacturers, people who have worked for, or are working for manufacturers, and just knowledgeable people on this site lets find out how they do, or don't, achive consistency.

I think it should be divided between the mass produced trumpets such as Bach and Yamaha and the "hand made" manufacturers such as Schilke and Eclipse.

Yamaha - recognised as one of the most consistent mass produced horns. How do they do it? - is it just paying attention to the close tolerances in engineering and checking their tolerances regularly? - or do they play test their horns etc?

Bach - often described as inconsistent but if you can get a good one they are great, but that the recent models are becoming more consistent. How are they improving consistency?

Schilke - considered very consistent and they are hand made by craftsmen. I read once that Schilke insisted that a horn has to play right before it leaves the factory so if this takes longer than another trumpet they have made that is fine but it has to be right. I have heard that other manufacturers spend a maximum number of hours on a horn and if it still wasn't right put it out anyway. How do Schilke ensure that one B1 plays the same as another though? Have they changed in terms of how they play over time? (Obviously the Yamalloy valves changed things for a while). They obviously use the same mandrels etc but do these wear out over time? Do they have a "reference" model B1 that Reynold designed, for instance, to keep comparing to in terms of how it plays to achieve consistency? - or reference mandrels which they copy etc?

Eclipse - a hand made maker, like Schilke, made by craftsmen. Obviously lots of room for custom work which will alter the horn, but again, how do they ensure that one medium red plays the same as another? I bought a Flugel from Eclipse and I know that it was play tested by a few pro players including Noel Langley to ensure it played extrememly well - but, how do they ensure a stock medium red trumpet, for example, plays the same way as another stock medium red?

Kanstul, Conn and all the other makers of instruments out there...

Would be great to hear from people who know the process of how manufacturers achieve consistency....or anyone elses opinion of course!

Looking forward to your thoughts...

MM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: