• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

piccolo playing in quintet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
climbingoddess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious what picc people are using in their quintets. I am not happy with my sound (it's just TOO bright) and am having a hard time blending with the others when i'm playing picc. It may be a personal problem, or an equipment problem... What are others using, or what suggestions can you make? My current setup is a Yamaha YTR-9820C–with the rotary fourth on the third valve slide, and a Yamaha 14A4a mouthipece. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!
Webbsta78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Stomvi picc trumpet, and a Stork 2P mouthpiece, Have you tried maybe a 14B or other mouthpiece that's not quite as shallow as the 14A4a?

Jason
MrTrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is likely your mouthpiece. I use a Benge 5 picc with usually my regular Bb mpc, a GR67L or sometimes a Bach 1 1/2C (my predeccesor to the GR). I have a 14A4A that I used to use on occasion on the picc but like you, hated the sound.

I'm not necessarily recommending that you use the same mpc for both horns, that happens to be my preference (I missed class the day they said you needed different equipment for everything

Since I haven't been one to try alot of different equipment, I will leave specific mpc recommendations to other folks more knowledeable about such (the 14B is a reasonable suggestion).

regards,
Mike Hackbert
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your piccolo should be fine. I personally use a selmer in a quintet, but almost any will do. For the mouthpiece try a schilke 14A4X. The yamaha and schilke a backbores are very tight and I think they usually lead to a shrill sounding piccolo sound. The x backbore is very open and facilitates a nice light piccolo sound. The schilke and yamaha diameters are very close so the 14A4X should be an easy adjustment for you.
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 14A that i use for upper register playing...(i use it on my C trumpet because i dont HAVE a piccolo) but it facilitates teh higher register without making the sound too bright. the cup is shallow but the backbore and throat are normal. The only problem is i think it is a custom . ( I got it off ebay) and im not srue its made in stores. But i tried teh 14A4A and it was just too bright. i like the 14A much better.

Stuart
RockyM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it sounds like the mouthpiece, 'cause that's a very nice horn.

I notice a big difference between my Stork 5P and 3P...a little larger piece, backbore, whatever may be just what you need.
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your horn sounds perfectly suited for that type of playing. Therefore, as everyone else has suggested, its the mouthpiece. the 14A4A by nature lends a tight, bright sound. As previously suggested, perhaps the 14b might indeed be a good choice. However, as also previously posted, I'm going to defer to the mouthpiece experts on the Forum. Nice horn though man!
budthorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently switched to a Bach 8B, and it works very well for all facets of pic playing, quintet or otherwise. They are kind of hard to find, I think, at least they aren't as common as a 7C or 5C, but they can still be found, or purchased through WW/BW or some other bigger store.

pat
RockyM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brian,

Been gone awhile, sorry for the delay in responding.

The 5P is just a little smaller in size, but gives a real boost for me if the part is high and stays high. The hardest thing is not over-blowing it and bottoming out...for me.

I prefer the 3P, but there are those days when the chops aren't what I'd like, so it's nice to have a little bit of "crutch"...whatever it takes to get the notes out and still sound good

They're both very good comfortable 'pieces, and are close enough in size to not mess with your chops too much, but there is certainly a difference in sound, especially in the lower end...just not as full.

Take care,
Rocky

[ This Message was edited by: RockyM on 2002-10-03 18:44 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: