• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

V-Cup (continued)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

The other thread's gotten a bit too long to download over and over. Here's my answer to Sean's original question.

The CG Personal (Claude's modified V-Cup design), is very similar to an old New York Bach 7 mouthpiece in shape, cup size, cup diameter backbore, etc. Back then, mouthpieces came with a 20 or 22 throat as the standard size and the backbores were alot more open. This changed as manufactures moved to fill the void and satisfy (and create) desire among players for "high note" mouthpieces.

Contrary to many opinions, the V-shaped cup is more efficient at moving faster air (which helps the upper register) than a bowl shaped mouthpiece. This is explained in Roger Spaulding's "Double High C in 37 Weeks" book quite nicely.

For me, Claude's mouthpiece gives me the best tone - no "airiness" at all and a nice big sound.

I have two modifications to this mouthpiece, the "MOHAN 7MV" and the "MOHAN 7SV" which are each slightly shallower modified V-Cup versions of Claude's design. They retain the exact rim contour, cup diameter, throat and backbore of Claude's mouthpiece. As they are each progressively shallower versions, they each create a progessively brighter tone and easier upper register. I also have a Piccolo Trumpet mouthpiece (the "MOHAN 7P") that is a great mouthpiece for players who use the CG Personal and need a good matching Piccolo Trumpet mouthpiece. The Pic mouthpiece is available in both Trumpet and Cornet Shanks.

All of these mouthpieces are available from Kanstul Brass for about $50 each.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
trumpetmagic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried CG Personal a few years ago knowing it was much smaller than Warburton 1D (17.50mm) I was using. I could not handle it.

Do you think the characterics of CG Personal will go away if Kanstul makes a 17.5mm CG Personal for me?

Thanks.
Ken

Ken
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-09 10:38, trumpetmagic wrote:
I tried CG Personal a few years ago knowing it was much smaller than Warburton 1D (17.50mm) I was using. I could not handle it.

Do you think the characterics of CG Personal will go away if Kanstul makes a 17.5mm CG Personal for me?

Thanks.
Ken

Ken

No, I think that is a reasonable idea. I've thought about doing something along this line myself. I played on Bach 1 1/2 C size rims for about 15 years before going to the CG Personal and designing my modifications of it 2 years ago, so I found (find) the cup diameter of the CG (and mine) to be a little small at times. One thing that I like though is that entirely by coincidence, the inner cup diameter, and inner-rim contour of the mouthpieces are the exact same size and shape of the classic (classic?) Schilke 14A4A mouthpiece. So when I want to sound like a jet engine at take-off...

Well, you get the idea.

Anyway, I would recommend that you not go quite so large if you get a personalized cup diameter version done of the CG personal. You'll end up with a VERY big and VERY deep mouthpiece. If I were you, I wouldn't go bigger than 17MM (a 1 1/2 C size cup diameter). While this will be a little smaller that your Warburton's diameter, in conjunction with the CG Personal's deep V-Cup, I think it would work better.

I'm assuming you are doing nothing but Orchestral playing. If you are planning on doing a variety of styles with one mouthpiece, than I would recommend asking Jim New at Kanstul to make a 17mm version of my "MOHAN 7MV" mouthpiece. It is slightly shallower than the CG and yields a nice all-around sound. Tell him you have my permission to use the design in your experimenting. You could call it the "KEN 1 1/2 MV". Or the "TRUMPETMAGIC 1 1/2 MV".

All for now,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: