• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Non-Bach MPC.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am currently in the middle of a mpc. hunt. I currently play on a Bach 3c, but I hate the way the rim on all Bach mouthpieces feel. Shilke rims feel pretty good, though. What are some good non-Bach mpc. brands? Preferably an effecient one, with ease in the upper register, and good for all types of playing. Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: Goldenchops55 on 2002-02-23 17:08 ]
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll begin with, if a size 9B shoe fit everyone, that's what we'd all buy. The mpc has to "seat" you and your leadpipe gap.
I do agree wholeheartedly that I personally find the Schilke is more comfortable than the Bachs I played for eons. There are other mpc's I like better, but that's a personal choice: Callet, GR, etc. Talk with Bruce Lee of http://www.northernbrass.com . Great guy; quite knowledgeable.
All the brands above are fine brands; just have to find what fits you and your needs.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try out Mark Curry's mouthpieces! I switched about three weeks ago and am loving it. My switch was very smooth with very little uncomfortable time. The mouthpiece felt great from the start. Mark copies Bach mouthpieces, but the rims are much more comfortable and the sound is incredibly rich and pure. There is not nearly as much bite as Bach mouthpieces. ( I can't stand it) I'm playing on a 1 1/4 B Curry with a 24 throat. It's bigger than what I switched from, but it has helped just about every aspect of my playing. I am starting to squeak out high F's when before a high D was only attainable on a good day. I feel that my sound is exactly how I want to sound. I'm very excited about this mouthpiece. If you like some aspects of Bachs besides the comfort factor, check out Curry. I think you'll be pleased with them. Sorry for the long winded post.

Matt Cyr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the Monette B4S or B6 a try. Both are similar to a Bach 3C and offer a richer sound. They are efficient mouthpieces and have a very easy upper register. You can check out their website for more information on these models.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try a schilke 14A4A or a Bobby DeNicola 13C. The 13C will have a rim very similar to the bach 3C, but has a much more efficient cup. It is very easy to switch back and forth to this mouthpiece from a bach, it would probably be easier to switch from the bach to this, then the bach to a schilke on a regular basis. Either can be done.

Other good crossover mouthpieces are Stork. You might want to try a VM4.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to check out the Marcinkewcz 300 series - nice non-Bach 3 rim with a lot of stock variations in cup depth. The also have some signature series in the Bach 3 size. Vizutti model is pretty crisp sounding. If you want to go to a wider (cushier) rim you might try the Reeves 43 sizes. The Claude Gordon mps might be a possibility for you too. Of course as mentioned above - Schilke has plenty of options. If you find a rim you like, any of the custom makers can duplicate it is you have special needs.
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you can try an e rim in a GR. They're comfy.

ChopsMcgraw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: