• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

That old case smell ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: That old case smell ... Reply with quote

Could I please have some advice on a problem that can't be unique to me?

I've just bought a well preserved Conn 6B. Love the sound and feel.
It also came with the original case. It is in reasonably good shape ... except for one feature. It smells like a mouldy abandoned cellar.
I got the scent out of the horn no problem (de-grease, soap, de-scale), but the case odour ligers, even after leaving it open in the attic for a while.

What's your experience? It there any chance I can get rid of that special "Olde Case Bouquet"? Advice is greatly appreciated.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wet (almost soak) the interior with Febreze and let it sit, open, in the sun outside till dry. Repeat the process if the smell lingers. Of course, this works better in hot weather.
SilverSpunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had mixed success with removing the musty smell from old cases. The smell is often caused by mildew from being stored for so long in humid conditions over the years (decades).

Like Dale Proctor says, sunlight and slightly hotter temperatures can help you kill the mildew/mold, some people have the luxury of leaving the cases open with sunlight shining on it and that seems to do the trick. If you want to be very sure about cleaning the case, I would even suggest getting a mold/milder spray, anti bacterial spray and Febreze spray for the scent if you want to use the case.

Normally I wouldn't bother with these old cases, modern cases fare better in many situations, I tend to just seal the cases in a plastic bag to seal in the smell for storage.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Wet (almost soak) the interior with Febreze and let it sit, open, in the sun outside till dry. Repeat the process if the smell lingers. Of course, this works better in hot weather.

Sometimes that Febreze will leave the case lining feeling sticky; I've had to wipe the lining down with something to cut the stickiness after the Febreze dries.

This thread has a variety of ideas:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62656&highlight=conn++artist

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. oakmount,
I have had success using a product sold by Ferrees Tools, Z26 Springtime Concentrated Deodorizer. https://www.ferreestoolsinc.com/products/z26?_pos=1&_sid=5b6ea75f0&_ss=r

I soaked the case throughly pressing the sprayed-on mixture into the padding. Then left the case sit open in a conditioned space. I think it is important to keep the case out of high humidity during this process. I did this twice while allowing drying completely between applications. After drying the second time, I placed about a 1/4 cup of unused coffee grinds in a small flat container and closed the case for a few days. I would open the case and stir the grinds around to expose different sides of the grinds. I also did two coffee grind treatments as well.

Coffee grinds are good at absorbing odors. Plain charcoal (the kind without the self lighting fluid) is also good at absorbing odors. That was going to be my next treatment, but the coffee grinds did the job for me.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014

Last edited by Ronnman on Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about using Febreze and like products is that it may cover/remove from the surface mildew but that doesn't address the mildew that is not seen and will simply spread back.

In my experience nothing works as good as direct sunlight for an extended length of time but, even then, you just hope the sun's rays can reach deep enough to get it all.

BTW, that sunlight treatment doesn't preclude a good vacuuming and other treatments to the case. You have to do as much as you can and may wind up buying a new case, anyway.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitch it and get a gig bag.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://zorbx.com/

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always google...

case smell site:trumpetherald.com

...and read all kinds results from previous TH threads. One low-cost option that seemed to work fairly well can be found at The Home Depot for less than $3.00...

Sprayaway

...mentioned in these TH threads:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1641383

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155868&sid=4bd3749529cf46525ab70efdead5b60b

All of that said, I did just as Jon Arnold suggests above and threw out a 1961/62 Olds Ambassador cornet case that I received on Monday of this week. Any more I've given up on spending time trying to renew old cases. "Keep the horn, toss the case,"...that is, unless I will possibly sell the horn; then I'll let the next guy decide.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this, that I got from a previous thread on this subject. It works well.

https://singer-featherweight.com/products/case-deodorizer

Gotta say...that stuff from Ferree's looks worth a try.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My solution has always been to pitch it and get a new case.

I had a musty horn and cleaned the daylights out of it, but it never really got rid of the smell until I stopped using the case.

So, I got rid of the case and the problem was solved.

I have tried sunlight and various things, but it's never been completely effective. At some point, the effort became not worth it for the cases I had. Yours might differ.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. Thank you all for your time and advice. I'll try the enzyme killer and coffee grinds, but will probably get a good gig bag for actual use, keeping the original case should I sell the horn. More likely I'll keep the case for a while for sentimental reasons and then dump it, wondering why I didn't do that in the first place 😉.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never throw a case away that’s original to the instrument, unless it’s beyond repair. If it stinks and you can’t get all the smell out, close it up, stick it in a closet, and buy a new case/bag for the horn. When you sell the horn, make the new owner happy and sell it in the original case.
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That also sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I never throw a case away that’s original to the instrument, unless it’s beyond repair. If it stinks and you can’t get all the smell out, close it up, stick it in a closet, and buy a new case/bag for the horn. When you sell the horn, make the new owner happy and sell it in the original case.

Yeah, I have said I pitch cases, but I think it's been like 1 or 2 and the rest are in the attic of the garage.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
TJTS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That old case smell.... disgusting, terrible, and potentially dangerous. Many cases we have are simply uncleanable and sadly go in the trash. Not only do they smell bad, but they cannot sufficiently protect the instrument. Case manufacturing has come a long way!

If you are dead set on keeping the case, I would recommend Lysol or another disinfectant that generally does not stain (always test first). Standard Febreze that you use for clothes might help the smell but it will not kill the organisms. Lysol, and Febreze Antimicrobial, has the chance to kill bacteria and is your best bet to eliminate lingering smells. As others mentioned, once sprayed down let it be outside to air out and get some UV rays to help further.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: